Thursday, August 2, 2007

Dolls I make


I just finished this special little lady. Her body is 100% wool, her legs are of wool suiting and she is stuffed with lamb fleece. The fleece is from a sheep farm in Danville, Vermont, very close to where I live. Her braided hair is made from imported Irish linen thread.



The topsy-turvy girl (girls?) pictured below is my version of this picture. I am not sure where I got the pic, I believe it is a photo I had of a vintage pattern. It inspired me as you see.



















No, you are not looking a two dolls. You are looking at one cute topsy-turvy. I do have to tell people to turn her over. Sometimes they miss little girl number two, even when holding her. I had so much fun sewing this duo and decorating the clothes. Their bodies are made out of soft cotton flannel. I wish I had taken a close-up of their outfits, but I think if you click on the picture it will give you a large view. The yoyo flower on the plaid skirt has the most adorable button of a baby doll sewn on it.



Pinkie: Cloth doll from vintage Edith Flack Ackley
pattern type, hand embroidered on cotton shirting
with pink cotton & micro-fiber curly hair

More about Pink from Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette, 1873-1954, "The Great Lady" of French Literature in the last year of her life:

Monsieur,
You invited me to visit you for a week, which means that I would be near my daughter, whom I adore. You who live with her know how rarely I see her, how much her presence delights me, and I am touched that you should ask me to come to see her. All the same, I am not going to accept your kind invitation, for the time being at any rate. The reason is that my pink cactus is probably going to flower. It is a very rare plant that was given to me and I am told that in our climate it blossoms only once every four years. Now I am already a very old woman, and if I went away when my pink cactus is about to flower, I am certain that I shouldn't ever see it flower. So I beg you, Sir, to accept my sincere thanks and my regrets, together with kind regards.

Sidonie Colette, nee Landoy


My Victorian cloth doll, a little maid from Godey's Ladies Magazine, 1861.
More pics to come of how I made her!

No comments: